Attention all Visitors / Guests!!!... If you wish to become a Member of our website please contact us.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,571 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:49 PM

jimhaislop5.jpg

Some information I've gathered from searching online in regards to how Jim Haislop trained including his diet.

John McCarthy

I know Jim used a split routine, I recall him telling me he hit his calves on board the ship, so he must have trained them every day. I saw him doing chins behind the neck, leg curls and extensions, dips with weight around his waist. The slant board for sit-ups had the top rung about 36 inches high. Jim had the bench on top there and I remember seeing him moving like a machine. What caught my eye was he had a 25lb. plate behind his head. When he stopped I asked what in the world are you doing or something to that effect. He said see that clock? There was a big clock on the far wall you could see while doing sit-ups. So what I said and he told me, Zabo out in California does not bother to count, he just pounds out sit-ups for twenty minutes or so. But I bet not with a 25lb plate behind his head. The rest of his routine was, it seemed a lot of Reeves movements. Front squats, incline curls, tricep press downs on the lat machine.

One thing for his delts, they had the old straight incline benches you stood up on. There he would lay backwards, head facing the bench. He would have a pair of 40 or lighter dumbells and do laterals. On most reps were 8 to 12 and sets about 5. Pretty standard stuff. A couple of times after we went to a luncheonette at 8pm or so and had steak and eggs with oj and milk. Again standard stuff. One guy I forgot his name, Jim said he just got a package from the butcher. Can you imagine a butcher delivering to a gym at 6pm or so today? A different world. Anyway Jim said, you have to see this. I think the guy was in the Navy also. After the workout we watch as he opens up this brown paper and eats a big RAW piece of liver. Blood dripping and all. I'll stick with steak and eggs.

One thing with Frank. He came in once and worked hard on only his weak points. One arm curls for the weak arm etc. He was doing one leg squats on a flat bench holding a dumbell. The entire workout was devoted to the weak side. I did not stick with going to the gym as much but that was the only time I saw someone do just that.

Bob Adams

I just completed a telephone coversation with Jim Haislop (Back around 2005). In brief, he is doing well, but is admitedly not computer savy so he does not keep up with what is going on in respect to himself on the web. He is still training, two days a week whole body routine, and does this for the period of February through August. His bodyweight is still around 220. In September he gives up trainng for his other passion which is hunting with a bow and arrows. During the time he was competing he would train 6 days a week using an upper body lower body split, which took place in an a gym with no air conditioning and after a hard day's work climbing poles for the telephone company. The workouts lasted 3 hours. Looking back now he feels he was greatly overtraining. His last competition was the 1992 over 50 Mr. Florida, which he won. He still judges contests in the Florida area. He remembers a friend of mine from the Pittsburgh area who moved to Florida, Jim Karas, who has competed in a number of over 50 and 60 contests. I will send this link to his wife, who will show it to him. He was pleased to hear that he is so fondly remembered. Your admiration for him and his physique on this site is well justified. He is a true gentleman.

jimhaislop4.jpg

Hot Rocks

Long,long ago! Far, far away!

I got that work out from Jim Haislop when I was about 10 or 12 years old .Yes it is true. He was Mr. America in 1968 along with many other titles if I recall correctly. I lived in Tampa , down the street from a gym called Fudges. Jim lived next door. My buddies and I hung around the gym as much as we could. Sweeping the floors and doing whatever they wanted us to do.

Looking back on it now, it occurs to me that all they were doing was keeping us out of their hair. There were no steroids being used in that gym back then. It was balls to the wall, pushing hard. That was the way they won titles. By the time I was 15 I had seem many of a burned out bodybuilder, but there were others who day in and day out seemed to keep getting better. And one of my favorites was Jim.

In 1965 he had won Mr. Florida and had came in 3rd for Mr. USA. I asked him how I could be a winner. I believe he knew I was an orphan and live on the streets back then. I knew he wouldn’t lie to me. I trusted him. He was one of the few.

He said to do the split routine I previously posted , don’t let anyone talk me down and always thank god for what I have, be it a little or be it a lot.. And I too would be a winner. He was right!

I miss those days. I wonder where Jim is today.

I would like to thank him.

Thanks Jim

Jim-Haislop1.jpg

If anyone else has extra info or stories to tell regarding Jim then please post them up.

* STRENGTH-OLDSCHOOL SERVICES *

BODYBUILDING ART
Bodybuilding Artwork - Commission or Buy Drawings, Paintings, Posters,  - Click here

WEB DESIGN
Fitness Web Design - Wish to launch your own Bodybuilding Blog, Forum or Fitness website? Click here

OUR MERCHANDISE
Purchase Strength-Oldschool Merchandise - Click here

ADVERTISE
Advertise Your Website / Business on Strength-Oldschool - For details click here

BODYBUILDING DVD's
Purchase classic bodybuilding / strength training DVD's - Click here

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jim haislop, bodybuilder jim haislop, the training routine of bodybuilding legend jim haislop, bodybuilding legends, training routines of bodybuilding legends, classic bodybuilders, how did bodybuilder jim haislop train?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users