Train for Power - Part 2 (1954)

By Reg Park

Reg Park - Age 21

Since writing Part One a number of incidents have arisen which I feel will be of interest to our readers. They are as follows: 

1/ I received a letter from Al Murray advising me that he had prepared an article, "Body-builders Can Be Strong," which was prompted by the trend in the London area amongst the body-builders.  

2/ I hit an extremely good spell -- making the following lifts (1954):

• 550 squat 2 reps
  • 510 squat 5 reps
  • 500 bench press  
  • 270 press 3 reps
  • 270 press behind neck 2 reps
  • 220 strict curl

Dave Sheppard - Pete George - Charles Coster - Tommy Kono

When Chas Coster (see photo above - left to right - Dave Sheppard - Pete George - Charles Coster - Tommy Kono ) learnt of this he was extremely pleased because it would emphasize the importance of POWER TRAINING, of which he has long been a great advocate. Many authorities are inclined to stress too much importance on technique rather than on power.

Marvin Eder - Before (1949) and After (1954)

3/ An old copy of S & H magazine showed up at the office showing Eder (photo above) as he was at 17-1/2 and giving a list of measurements along with his best lifts at the time. At a height of 5'7" and a bodyweight of 181 pounds - 

• 340 bench x 2
  • 250 press
  • 370 squat x 10

That was exactly five years ago (1949) and for your interest his measurements now are:

• 5'7"
  • 198 pounds
  • 18" arms

And his best on those three lifts are:

• 480 bench
  • 350 press
  • 500 squat x 5 sets of 2

Reg Park and Marvin Eder Training in 1951

Marvin's interest has always been on building a powerful physique and during our workouts together in 1951 (photo above) we used 350 pounds on bent-over rowing, also 120 pound dumbbells on the seated DB press -- the other lifts and poundages escape my memory. 

Interesting facts about both Eder and Hepburn -- whilst both train on the press and bench press, they do not practice these two lifts on the same day, and when utilizing the bench press to improve their pressing ability as I understand Davis also does, they use the same width of grip as they would when performing standing presses and start the press from the chest.

Isadore Louis - Issy - Bloomberg

Issy Bloomberg (photo above) who I had the pleasure of training with during my recent tour of South Africa, and who pressed over 300 pounds as an amateur is another lifter who appreciates the importance of power of body-building exercises such as the full and quarter squat, bench press, bent-over rowing, etc., in order to build up his body power and so benefit his Olympic lifting.

Although I may be stepping on someone's corns, it has long been my contention that some of the British lifters who wondered why their performances do not compare with those of the Russians, American and Egyptians (taking the advantages of these countries' lifters into consideration such as time and standard of living) do not stress sufficient importance to such exercises as heavy squats, bench presses from the chest, rowing motions, deadlifts, etc. A comparison which comes to my mind is training for the "long jump." Whilst the actual jump is of importance, and needs to be practiced, it is a fact that sprinting plays an important part and most long jumpers are excellent sprinters. The same thing applies with the three Olympic lifts, whilst it is essential to practice the correct style, technique and performance of these lifts, it is true that such exercises as the full squat build up terrific power and coupled with actually performing the Olympic lifts assists improvement on the latter. Anderson is an example of this for he trained purely on the squat and built up his body power so much that when he went on to the Olympics his performances amazed even the most ardent physical culturists.

2079468508_PaulAnderson-1200lbsSquat.jpg.c09c49f650033d1f205fae419818855c.jpg

In order not to confuse you, my interpretation of body power means performing exercises such as squats, deadlifts, bench presses from the chest and bouncing, which permit you to handle more weight and so build greater ligament and tendon power than can be derived from the practice of the press, snatch, and clean & jerk ONLY.

Schedule Two

You should now feel refreshed to start Schedule Two after training on Schedule One for a month and then having a full week off to rest up. Schedule Two involves training three times per week i.e. MON, WED, FRI, for a month. Please note the increase in poundages handled at the end of this time.

318829545_TrainforPowerbyRegPark-Part2-Schedule2Exercises.thumb.jpg.927188ccc9e46c7803d7492217f2680c.jpg

Exercise 1: Squat With Bar At Sternum (Front Squat)

Those of you who have never practiced this lift may experience difficulty in balance and also a strain on the wrists, but if you allow the bar to rest on the deltoids instead of trying to hold it at the chest you will find it much easier. This exercise is also very beneficial to lifters who employ the squat style technique. Perform 5 sets of 5 repetitions.

Jim Haislop - Front Squat

Exercise 2: The Clean and Press

For poundages and repetitions I would suggest that if your best Press is 250 pounds, warm up with 200 x 2 reps, then 220 x 2, and finally 5 sets of 2 with 230. If you are still strong, perform 2 sets of jerk presses with 240-250, doing 3 reps a set. When you are able to perform this schedule increase your poundages by 5 pounds throughout. Use a slightly wider than shoulder width grip.

Exercise 3: Upright Row

This exercise has quite recently been accepted by the A.A.U. as one of their strength lifts. Using the same grip as when performing cleans, lift the bar from the floor until it rests across the thighs and then with a hard fast pull lift the bar up until it touches the neck with the elbows held up high, and then lower the bar to the thighs and repeat from there. Perform 5 sets of 5.

858684619_PaulAnderson-HeavyHighPulls.jpg.edfda15f7687e5f1b517452c22b6109f.jpg

Exercise 4: Parallel Bar Dip

This is a particular favorite of Eder, and I well remember his brother telling me that he considered this exercise had done more for Marvin than any other. Perform 5 sets of 8 and use added weight.

Marvin Eder Heavy Dips

Exercise 5: Dumbbell Curl

Numerous men, such as Grimek, have handled 100 pound bells on this exercise. Perform 5 sets of 5.

John Grimek Heavy Dumbbell Curls

Exercise 6: Deadlift

When following both schedules only do deadlifts once a week, on an off day and on their own. Work up in singles to the highest poundage you can lift.

Paul Anderson Deadlifting